ILRI (International Livestock Research Institute) seeks to recruit a senior computational biologist, to lead the bioinformatics team. This is an international appointment reporting to the Animal Biosciences Program Leader. The position holder requires an outstanding record of internationally competitive research accomplishments in bioinformatics. The role will require management of a group of bioinformaticians and systems specialists, liaison with a broader group of scientists and management of collaborations with multi-disciplinary groups on challenges relating to capturing, managing, analyzing and interpreting large sets of biological data.
The job scope covers research in many different aspects of crop and livestock biology.
Current topics include next generation sequence analysis, genotyping, comparative and functional genomics, RNA sequence analysis and metagenomics in a range of livestock, crop, vector and pathogen species.
• Liaise with senior project and programme managers to coordinate and manage bioinformatics requirements and opportunities;
• Contribute to existing research projects and build independent research activities in bioinformatics related to agricultural research;
• Be responsible for ensuring that ILRI’s human and hardware capability to perform cutting-edge bioinformatics is maintained;
• Be an inspiring and effective leader of a diverse and enthusiastic group
• Develop and implement a vision of bioinformatics research and support at ILRI;
• Ensure integration of bioinformatics into the research and research planning process at ILRI;
• Proactively establish and build strong relations with a range of local, regional and international partner institutes based on mutual trust and support;
• Be responsible for the quality of scientific research and project management within the bioinformatics team.
• PhD in Bioinformatics or in Biological Sciences research driven by computational analyses.
• At least 5 years post PhD experience.
Post location: The position is based at ILRI’s Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Position level: The position is Scientist/Research Level 3 dependent on qualifications and experience. Candidates with experience and qualifications below those indicated may be considered at Scientist/Research Level 2. Base salary starting from USD 75,000 per annum depending on skills and experience, with an attractive international benefits package (tax free*).
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.