Ref. No. 15232 – Townsville
Conduct & lead innovative research in bioinformatics Add bioinformatics skills to field-leading research programs in the molecular life sciences Be part of building a brighter future for life in the tropics world-wide
About James Cook University
James Cook University is one of Australia’s most distinctive universities with a focus on creating a brighter future for life in the tropics worldwide. The University is located in the vibrant regional community of tropical Queensland, which has one of the fastest growing economies in Australia, adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef and Wet Tropics World Heritage Areas. The University’s internationally recognised research is matched by strong commitment to its region, partners and teaching.
About the Role
A continuing level C academic position (Senior Lecturer – Bioinformatics) is available within the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology. The first two years of the appointment will be research-only, during which the appointee will contribute bioinformatics expertise into the biological interpretation of large genomic and transcriptomic datasets being obtained for corals. During this period, the appointee is expected to develop an undergraduate teaching module and an independent research program, enabling a transition after the second year to a standard mixed-duties academic position as outlined in the Duties and Responsibilities statement below. With the Great Barrier Reef on our doorstep, JCU is a world leader in the biology and molecular genetics of corals and provides opportunities to develop collaborations across the life sciences, from biomedical sciences to aquaculture.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an independent research program, but also contribute bioinformatics expertise more broadly, particularly in areas that are of interest to Molecular Cell Biology, Aquaculture and the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies.
- Lead the development of capacity in bioinformatics at James Cook University.
- Play a major role in research/consultancy projects, including leadership where appropriate.
- Contribute to teaching of postgraduate subjects and research activities where appropriate.
Skills & Experience
- PhD (or equivalent higher research degree) in Bioinformatics or related area, as well as a strong research track record.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct internationally recognized research in life sciences using bioinformatics methods.
- Demonstrated ability to secure and manage research funds.
- Capacity to develop and deliver research methods subjects (i.e., bioinformatics) to health-and science-oriented students.
Culture & Benefits
JCU offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth as well as diverse career opportunities. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
- Generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- Five weeks annual recreation leave
- Flexible working arrangements
- Attractive options for salary packaging.
- Level of appointment and commencing salary will be in accordance with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
- For more information please contact Professor David Miller on +61 7 4781 4473 or email email@example.com
- For a full position description and more information on how to apply please click here...
- Position Reference Number: 15232 Applications close on – 22/07/2015