The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and metabolism, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders
We are seeking an entry level Bioinformatics Research Officer or research scientist with equivalent informatics expertise to join the Laboratory for Human Comparative and Prostate Cancer Genomics located at The Kinghorn Cancer Centre. This is a newly funded bioinformatics position, from the Australian Prostate Cancer Research Centre NSW, to examine genomic alterations driving prostate cancer and treatment response.
The project is prefaced on the hypothesis that somatic (acquired) genomic alterations are fundamental drivers of clinical heterogeneity and treatment response in prostate cancer. We seek to identify the somatic genomic landscape as potential biomarkers of disease and treatment outcome, using whole-genome sequencing of tumour and matched normal patient samples. The successful candidate will focus on the implementation and development of statistical/computational tools to analyse next-generation sequencing (NGS) data to identify somatic variations associated with prostate cancer outcome.
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and attributes:
- Relevant undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant field (eg bioinformatics, cancer genomics, or comparative genomics)
- Familiarity of NGS technologies, particularly of the Illumina platform
- Experience with bioinformatics tools and analytical approaches of NGS data
- Ability and willingness to write scientific reports
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team
- Attention to details and ability to carry out high quality work
- Excellent communication skills for written reports and oral presentations
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring workplace, located in modern state of the art offices, on-site café, close to public transport and restaurants. You will be joining a professional & well-establish team and rewarded with a competitive salary, Not-for-profit salary packaging and 14% Superannuation.
How to Apply
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A Cover Letter addressing the Selection Criteria above
- Your Resume including 3 Referees
- Your Academic Transcripts
Please apply via: Garvan Jobs
This role will remain open until filled.
For additional information and enquiries, please contact Vanessa Hayes.