Applications are invited for either a suitably qualified Research Officer (RO) or a Senior Research Assistant (SRA) in Bioinformatics for appointment to the Bioinformatics Unit. The level of appointment will be determined by qualification, PhD for an RO or an Honours degree and work experience for SRA.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with existing staff from the Bioinformatics Unit in the bioinformatics analysis of high throughput proteomic and gene sequencing data. The candidate will contribute to the development of bioinformatic capability, services, and infrastructure at CMRI and the Westmead Research Hub, and will engage in a range of other bioinformatics projects and initiatives, working closely with biomedical researchers, CMRI Research Facilities, and ICT. Appointment is initially for 1 year, and continuing tenure is subject to satisfactory performance and the availability of funding.
- hold a PhD or equivalent (for RO appointment), or an Honours degree and relevant work experience (for SRA appointment), in computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related biomedical discipline;
- have proven experience in the analysis of high throughput proteomic and/or gene sequencing data as well as the development of bioinformatics infrastructure to support these analyses, including a high level of familiarity with a broad range of relevant open source software packages, data analysis pipelines, and systems for large scale data management
- be proficient in Perl, Python, or a related scripting language
- be proficient in the design, setup, and querying of databases for research data
- have high-level interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- demonstrate problem-solving skills and independent thinking
- have strong, general bioinformatics skills and a solid basic understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, and related disciplines
- demonstrate a willingness and ability to educate, train, and up-skill colleagues in basic bioinformatics skills.