We are seeking a full time Clinical Bioinformatics Lead on a 3 year contract, to work with the newly established MCRI/VCGS Translational Genomics Unit, to develop and support genomic-scale sequencing technology and applications for VCGS projects. The Clinical Bioinformatics Lead will be responsible for updating and maintaining data analysis pipelines and supporting the development and evaluation of new data analysis tools.
You will also be responsible for:
- the operation of data processing from instrument output to the generation of genome variation data and support with the preparation of reports arising from those data.
- Working with the MCRI IT team and with the MCRI Bioinformatics group to support good practice in terms of data management and storage.
- Supporting the Head of MCRI Bioinformatics to facilitate coordination between VCGS and MCRI bioinformatics activities.
- Working with genome-scale data to deliver a diagnostic and research service.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Working with Children & National Police Clearance (if appointed)
- B.Sc. (or equivalent) -Familiar with Unix shell environment, R and scripting tools (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby) -Demonstrated experience and competence in the performance and understanding of a wide range of diagnostic tests or procedures or of complex and specialised tests -Demonstrated ability in giving professional advice within and outside the laboratory on appropriate scientific and clinical matters
- Participation in laboratory programmes for training of undergraduates and graduate scientific staff
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop new diagnostic or research procedures applicable in their laboratory environment
- Demonstrated ability to critically assess and evaluate new equipment, instruments or products relevant to the diagnostic work of their laboratory
- Post graduate qualification in bioinformatics is desirable
- Knowledge of database management is desirable
For further information on this position, please contact Dr Damien Bruno on +61 3 9936 6571.
Applications close on Sunday 23rd November 2014.
Job reference: 2997/2014 Click here for further details....