- Real World Positive IMPACT
- Major Project
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation
The Bioinformatics Project Officer will be part of the CSIRO Plant Industry Bioinformatics Team and contribute to the development and deployment of a robust and integrated data management platform for wheat genomics research.
Your ability to develop ideas in a team environment and provide creative solutions will ensure that the platform can respond to data management challenges in modern wheat research including heterogeneous data types, mobile and high-throughput data ingest mechanisms and diverse data query and high-dimensional data visualization needs. The developed technology will be deployed to the CSIRO Plant Industry user base for use in wheat genomics research which is having positive impact on agricultural productivity, sustainability & food security.
The work will involve database design and engineering, integration of third-party software solutions and platform testing and optimization. The position will also have scope to investigate analytical and computational approaches for data handling, analysis and visualisation relevant to modern wheat genomics research technologies, including next-generation sequencing technology and high-throughput functional genomics.
Specifically you will:
- Contribute to the development of a wheat data management platform for CSIRO Plant Industry
- Interact with the CSIRO wheat genomics community to optimise and deploy wheat data management infrastructure
- Respond to and optimisation solutions with regard to a set a defined use-cases in wheat genomics data management
Location: Black Mountain, ACT
Salary: $75K - $85K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Ref no: ACT12/01360
Tenure: 30 month term
To be successful you will have:
- Experience in the development and deployment of data management solutions, including SQL, and user interfaces using a range of software platforms.
- Experience in one or several computational and scripting languages, such as C++, Java, Perl, and Python.
- Experience in interacting with user communities to assess needs, optimise infrastructure and provide training.
- Creative problem solving abilities
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results
About CSIRO: Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, CSIRO is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities across the nation. Find out more! www.csiro.au.