The Australian Bioinformatics Network logo was created by David Lovell, Eleanor Gates-Stuart and Virginia Tressider one morning in 2012. The design "brief" was for a logo that was
- relevant to bioinformatics
- evocative of Australia without using green, gold, or a kangaroo
- clear and easily viewed in a range of formats and sizes.
The logo we decided on
- references the CPK coloring (but not size) conventions for carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen: key biochemical elements
- looks a little bit like Australia from low earth orbit over the Indian Ocean
- is clear and easily viewed in a range of formats and sizes.
Critically, the logo was designed in under an hour and without the use of a focus group.